Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I'm back!

So after a near fourth month hiatus I'm back, and with a new name to boot! I stopped writing for so long due to the fact that schedule was simply not allowing me to do so, thus, with some inspiration from Stephen Sondheim, I will aim to blog at the very least every Sunday.

Anyhow, seen a few good movies recently: of most note Public Enemies which was absolutely phenomenal. Color me astounded! It was only two posts ago that I was attempting to have a "That's So Raven" moment and see in to the critical future of Michael Mann's film. My thoughts? Just stunning. I loved nearly everything about it--Depp, Mann's direction, the cinematography, the costumes, Cotillard, Bale. The "nearly," however, comes in the form of the at times heinously intrusive score. Sorry Elliot Goldenthal, but this was just a straight failure. Like, there would be this heartbreaking scene that could've used say, a little decorative piano, and we instead get the theme from Gone with the Wind. Dreadful. But other than that, I highly recommend it.

Also saw My Sister's Keeper. It, shocker here, made me bawl my eyes out until I needed a new shirt mine was so covered in tears. I mean, it wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread or anything like that, but it certainly did what it set out to do, which is make its audience dissolve into a mass puddle of emotions. Bravo, Nick Cassavetes! Oh and by the way color me shocked that MVP Sofia Vassilieva would go from playing Eloise with Julie Andrews in a few DTV movies for Disney to giving an award-worty performance in this that left not a dry visage in the house. See it if you want to have a part of your soul die for two some hours.

See you next Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment